Whether you are baking for a Christmas cookie exchange, looking for an easy cookie recipe to make with your kids, or searching for a dessert recipe that is gluten free, grain free, dairy free, egg free or vegan, these jam thumbprint cookies are sure to satisfy you. If you don't care for jam, you can fill the thumbprint with a variety of other ingredients, including chocolate chips, chopped nuts and honey, dried fruit, or even leftover cranberry sauce.
Gluten Free, Grain Free Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
1 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch sea salt
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp melted coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup agave nectar (honey, brown rice syrup, or maple syrup should also work)
rasperry, apricot, or other jam of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 325, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until blended, and make a well in the centre.
3. Add oil, vanilla, and agave nectar to the dry ingredients. Mix by hand until a smooth dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips.
4. use your hands to roll dough into teaspoon sized balls. Place dough balls approximately 1 inch (2.5cms) apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet about 1 inch (2.5cm) apart.
5. Gently press down on the dough with your thumb to make a well in the middle of each cookie (a great job for your junior chefs). Spoon a small amount of jam into each well.
6. Bake the cookies for 7-9 minutes, until lightly golden around edges. Allow to cool on baking sheet for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Makes about 1 and half dozen small cookies. Enjoy!
photo credit: adventuresofafuturechef.blogspot.com