Sweet preserves are the perfect way to enjoy tart berries like these. Whole cranberries add chunkiness and a unique touch to raspberry jam.
2 -1/2 cups (625 ml) raspberries
2 cups (500 ml) whole cranberries
1 cup (250 ml) finely chopped apple, about 1 medium
3 -1/2 cups (875 ml) granulated sugar
1 cup (250 ml) liquid honey
1/2 tsp (5 ml) butter
1 pouch (85 ml) BERNARDIN® Liquid Pectin
- Place 6 clean 250 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
- Wash and drain raspberries, cranberries and apple. Peel, core and finely chop apple.
- Measure raspberries, cranberries, prepared apple, sugar, honey and butter into a large, deep stainless steel saucepan. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Over medium heat, stirring frequently, bring fruit mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in liquid pectin and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) butter or margarine (to reduce foaming). Boil hard, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- Ladle hot preserve into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more preserves. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining preserves.
- When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 10 minutes.*
- When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
- After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
Makes about 6 x 250 ml jars.
BOILING WATER CANNER - ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENTS
* At altitudes higher than 1,000 ft (305 m) increase processing time as indicated in chart.
ALTITUDE (FEET) ALTITUDE (METERS) INCREASE PROCESSING TIME
1,001 – 3,000 306 - 915 5 minutes
3,001 – 6,000 916 – 1,830 10 minutes
6,001 – 8,000 1,831 – 2,440 15 minutes
8,001 –10,000 2,441 - 3,050 20 minutes
QUICK TIP: Use fresh or frozen cranberries for this one as they are readily available.