Root Beer, Bubble Gum, Mint Chocolate Chip Jelly! Translucent spreads that taste like your favourite jelly beans make super breakfast treats for the young-at-heart.
2 cups unsweetened apple juice or white grape juice
3-1/2 cups sugar
1 pouch (85 ml) BERNARDIN® Liquid Pectin
1/4 to 3/4 tsp flavouring oil concentrate*
Food colouring (optional)
*Flavouring oil concentrate - available at candy supply and gourmet kitchen stores - adds the unique taste.
- Place 3 clean 250 ml or 8 clean125 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
- Measure 2 cups (500 ml) prepared apple juice into a large, deep stainless steel saucepan. Stir in all the sugar. To reduce foaming, add 1/2 tsp (2 ml) butter or margarine. Over high heat, bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Add liquid pectin, squeezing entire contents from pouch. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in flavouring oil concentrate and food colouring if using. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam, if necessary.
- Quickly pour hot jelly into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more jelly. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining jelly.
- When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 10 minutes.*
- When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
- After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
Makes about 3 x 250 ml jars (or 8 x 125 ml jars)
BOILING WATER CANNER - ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENTS
* At altitudes higher than 1,000 ft (305 m) increase processing time as indicated in chart.
ALTITUDE (FEET) ALTITUDE (METERS) INCREASE PROCESSING TIME
1,001 – 3,000 306 - 915 5 minutes
3,001 – 6,000 916 – 1,830 10 minutes
6,001 – 8,000 1,831 – 2,440 15 minutes
8,001 –10,000 2,441 - 3,050 20 minutes
QUICK TIP: Create your very own signature jelly by adding your favourite flavour!