Trying to eat healthy but also make a meal the whole family can enjoy is a difficult task sometimes. Add to that a recipe that is quick as well as a family favourite and it gets even harder!
Chili is the type of meal that can be adjusted easier to accomodate different tastes as well as modified to be lower in calories and fat. If you are on Weight Watchers or a similar plan, this is the perfect recipe for you!
2 packs of 20oz (1.25lbs) ground lean turkey
1 red pepper
1 can of corn
cut up mini carrots
garlic puree or fresh garlic
2 cans 28oz Crushed Tomatoes with garlic
1 can 15oz of tomato sauce
1 pack of taco seasoning or Club House chili seasoning
2 cans 15oz Kidney Beans (or combination of beans)- you can leave these out if you aren't fans of beans, like me!
low fat Tex Mex shredded cheddar cheese (for garnish)
sour cream (for garnish)
torilla chips crushed (for garnish)
-Dice the onion and saute in the frying pan on medium heat.
- Add turkey and garlic. Saute until golden brown. Transfer into slow cooker.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, uncooked veggies, and seasoning pouch into the slow cooker and mix well.
- Drain and rince the beans (if you are adding them). Mix into the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours or more.
- Serve in bowls with low fat cheese, low fat sour cream or even crushed torilla chips.
- Makes several meals and is PERFECT to freeze!
Weight Watchers Points:
5pts with beans and no toppings
4pts with no beans and no toppings
Add 2 pts for 1/4 cup of shredded tex mex cheese
Add 1 pts for 4 torilla chips crushed on top
photo credit: Vanessa Lachey