Thanks to the theme "My 5 Senses" and the book "How do Dinosaurs Eat Cookies", momstown Calgary was keen to get tasting at Tales for Tots! Our good little ones remembered their pretend manners while reading: they waited until the cupcakes are cooled, said please and thank you, took only one or two at a time, and chewed them with their mouths closed.
Taking into account various allergies and food restrictions among our group, we developed a recipe for gluten free, grain free, vegan vanilla almond cupcakes to share:
Gluten Free Vegan Vanilla Almond Cupcakes
3 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp coconut oil, warmed just to melt
1/2 cup agave nectar (you could also use maple syrup, brown rice syrup, or other liquid sweetener of choice)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup warm water mixed with 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
1 tbsp non dairy milk
½ tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Combine warm water and ground flax seeds in a small bowl, and allow to sit for approximately 10 minutes, until mixture has gelled. In a separate small bowl, combine non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar.
3. In a large bowl, sift together almond flour, salt, and baking soda, and stir well to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together coconut oil, agave and vanilla. Add flax mixture and non dairy milk mixture, and mix.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry, and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until well incorporated.
6. Divide batter between muffin cups, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Once cool, frost with your favourite vegan icing recipe, or enjoy as is.