March is the Dietitians of Canada’s Nutrition Month, which concentrates on helping Canadians eat and live better.
According to a study conducted by the organization, 63 per cent of Canadians struggle with making healthier food choices in the grocery store at least half the time they shop (Source: Dietitians of Canada). Before heading to the grocery store, it’s a good idea to arrive with some recipes and ingredients in mind. Pasta is an easy, go-to dish during the week and provides the foundation for a healthy, low-fat diet when eaten in recommended amounts with healthy accompaniments such as fibre and nutrient-rich vegetables, lean meats, fish and poultry.
Barilla firmly believes that food is the key to your wellbeing. That is why the brand’s products strive to be tasty and healthy at the same time, thus encouraging a healthy daily diet. The simple and delicious ingredients used to make Barilla pastas (such as grains, etc.) are a healthy part of the Mediterranean way of living – one of the healthiest diets on earth.
This month, try cooking up this nutritious (yet delicious) pasta dish courtesy of Barilla - Farfalle with Zucchini, Carrots, Fennel, Marjoram & Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese!
Farfalle 1 box
Extra virgin olive oil 4 tablespoons
Garlic chopped 1 clove
Large carrot thinly sliced into rounds
1 Fennel diced 1 head
Medium zucchini sliced into half-moons 2
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Marjoram chopped 1 teaspoon
Parmigiano-reggiano cheese grated 1/2 cup
1. BRING a large pot of water to a boil.
2. In a large skillet, COOK garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes, or until slightly yellow in colour.
3. ADD carrots and sauté for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned.
4. ADD the fennel and zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 3 minutes.
5. COOK pasta according to package directions, drain and toss with the sauce.
6. REMOVE from heat and add fresh marjoram and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
7. STIR to combine, and serve.